The Lafayette Fire Chief, in coordination with the City Administrator, has authorized the implementation of Stage 1 Fire Restrictions for all areas within Lafayette city limits effective June 17, 2022. These fire restrictions are being implemented due to low moisture conditions, the forecast for high temperatures, and increased fire danger.
The Lafayette Fire Department aligns with Boulder County and evaluates current conditions, including data produced by the National Fire Danger Rating System (NFDRS) and the National Weather Service, to make a restriction determination.
The Lafayette Stage 1 Fire Restriction PROHIBITS:
- Charcoal barbeques and grills on public land (parks, open space)
- Smoking outdoors except on private property that is concrete, asphalt, or on barren ground
- Fireworks (always prohibited regardless of restriction level unless a permit is obtained for a professional display)
- Discharging a firearm (always prohibited regardless of restriction level)
- Open burning (ditches, fields)
- Explosives (unless a permit is obtained)
- Gas powered tools without a spark arrestor
- Parking in grass or vegetated areas
The Lafayette Stage 1 Fire Restriction ALLOWS:
- Charcoal barbeques and grills on private property
- Outdoor fire in an established pit or device on private property (wood, pellets, etc..)
- Welding or spark generating activities in a 10-foot cleared area with an extinguisher present
- Professional fireworks displays with a permit
- Propane or natural gas grills
- Propane or natural gas fire pits
- Gas powered tools equipped with a spark arrestor and with an extinguisher and round-point shovel present
Additional information may be found at lafayetteco.gov/FireRestrictions.