To report an animal problem, please call our dispatch center, 303-441-4444.
Browse the FAQs below for answers to most common animal related questions.
- Dogs that are taken for a walk or are off their own property must be on a leash.
- As a Lafayette resident you are allowed to have up to 3 dogs and 3 cats per residence.
- Dogs in the City of Lafayette are required to be licensed with the City. This can be done at the police department, Happy Paws Veterinary Hospital, Mountain Ridge Animal Hospital, Jasper Animal Hospital or Lafayette Companion Animal Hospital.
- If you are bitten by a dog, or if your dog bites someone, you need to contact the police department.
- If your animal is lost, please contact both the police department and the Humane Society of Boulder Valley.
- The City does not have a breed-specific ban; however, the vicious animal laws are strictly enforced.
- The City does not remove nuisance wildlife from private property; this is the responsibility of the property owner.
- The City does not collect stray cats unless they are sick or injured. If one is found, please contact the Boulder County Humane Society.