Plan a night with your family and make up your family fire safety plan.
You and your family can use Rover's Home Escape Map from Safe Kids World Wide to talk about and plan your family safety plan.
Here are ten tips to remember when your house catches fire.
- Have a family home escape map and plan.
- If you hear your smoke detector making a noise or smell smoke, get out of your house fast.
- Do not stop to get your toys or pets out of the house.
- Do not walk, always crawl on your hands and knees.
- Before you open a door, feel it with the back of your hand to see if it is warm. If it is warm leave the door closed and use another exit.
- If the door is not warm, go through it and close the door behind you.
- If you are upstairs, and everything is clear of fire, crawl down the stairs backwards and then out of the nearest door.
- Use a window as an exit only if it is safe. If there are flames and smoke coming from below the window, do not use it. Wave something light, shine a flashlight, or yell for help out the window to let someone know you are there.
- When you get outside, DO NOT GO BACK INTO THE HOUSE. Go to your family meeting place and wait for your family.
- If you are by yourself, go to your neighbors house and call 911