Short Term Rentals

What is a short-term rental?

Short-term rental involve the provision of lodging services within a dwelling unit, for compensation, to a person or persons for periods of less than 30 days, but excludes motels, hotels, or resorts. Short-term rental does not include rental of a dwelling unit for meetings such as luncheons, banquets, parties, weddings, fundraisers, or other similar gatherings for direct or indirect compensation. 

Do I need a short-term rental license?  

A license is required to rent your home for a period less than 30 days. The property must be your primary residence. You will also need the property owner’s permission if you do not own the property being offered as a short-term rental.  

What is a primary residence?

The City defines a primary residence as a person’s usual place of return for housing, i.e., the person’s domicile. A person can have only one (1) primary residence.



Prepare to apply 

  • Read the regulations to ensure you understand your responsibilities as a short-term rental host in Lafayette.  
  • A license guide maybe found here
  • If you are a renter, get permission from the property owner via a signed letter.  Purchase insurance as required by Section 55-68(f) of the regulations.  
  • Make sure the property is equipped with the following safety features:  
    • Address identification clearly visible from the street or road fronting the property; 
    • Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms;  
    • A multi-purpose portable fire extinguisher (minimum 2A:10B:C) installed on each floor level in a readily accessible location; 
    • An operable egress window installed in each sleeping room; and 
    • GFCI protection of receptacles.

           What’s a GFCI Outlet?  

GFCI outlets protect people from electrical shock by cutting the power off to appliances that come into contact with water. These outlets should be installed in areas near water, like sinks.  

GFCI receptacles may be installed by consumers with adequate knowledge and skills. When in doubt about the proper procedure, contact a qualified electrician; do not attempt to install it yourself. 

  • Identify a local responsible party, who can be available 24/7 to address issues.  
  • Gather all required documents in a .pdf or .jpg format 
    • A valid Colorado driver's license or a valid Colorado state identification card. 
    • At least two (2) of the following documents indicating that the short-term rental is the applicant's primary residence:  
        • Proof of valid motor vehicle registration;
        • Proof of voter registration;  
        • Federal or state tax returns or other financial documentation;  
        • A utility bill; or  
        • Any other legal documentation the applicant deems pertinent to establishing primary residency. Please note that the City may require alternative forms of documentation in this instance.  

  • The contact information for the local responsible party, if different from the applicant. This includes email, phone, and address.   

  1. Register for a Sales and Use Tax/Business License Account  

  • Any person or entity engaging in business activity in Lafayette must have an active Sales and Use Tax account with the City.  
  • Register online by visiting For more information, visit the City’s website or email There is no fee to register for this account.  
  • Note your six-digit license number.  

  1. Apply for a Short-term Rental License and Registration

  • Once you have your Sales and Use Tax Account, complete a Short-term Rental License and registration application by visiting the City of Lafayette MyGov Online Portal to create a MyGov Account.  
  • Complete a Short-term Rental application, pay a $200 fee, and schedule a safety inspection through the MyGov application. You will need the documentation noted above to complete this application.    
  • The City will then review your application and reach out with any questions.  
  • Once the safety inspection is approved, the City will email you a copy of your license. This allows the license holder to start operating.  

Once you have your license  

Remain in compliance 

Remain in compliance with short-term rental requirements, like ensuring the rental remains your primary residence and the maximum occupancy limit is enforced.  

Display your license 

Ensure that your license number remains displayed on internal signage and other advertisements (including online advertisements like VRBO.) 

Keep your contact information up to date 

Update your contact information, including that of the local responsible party, within your MuniRevs account. As a courtesy, we ask that you also email this information to  

Renew every two years 

The Short-term Rental License is valid for two years.   

Maintain your insurance 

Ensure that the required insurance covering the dwelling unit remains effective for each calendar year a license is in effect.  

Pay City taxes 

Most short-term rental operators remit taxes through online hosting platforms like Airbnb. You may also choose to remit tax directly through your MuniRevs account.