Contractor License Information


The city requires all contractors doing construction work within the city limits and being compensated for that work to be licensed. Licenses are good for one year from the day your license is issued.

How to Register - Online or In Person

Online Registration 

  1. Go to the City of Lafayette’s Online Action Center
  2. Upload a PDF copy of your General Liability Insurance Certificate and your Workman’s Compensation Insurance Certificate (if applicable)
  3. Electrical Contractors and Plumbing Contractors upload a PDF copy of your State License
  4. Once your application has been approved, you will receive an email with a link for an online payment.
  5. Online payment with Visa or MasterCard credit card only.

Register In Person or by Mail

  1. Fill out the Contractor License Application.
  2. Attach copy of your General Liability Insurance Certificate and your Workman’s Compensation Insurance Certificate (if applicable).
  3. Fill out a Lawful Presence Affidavit, including a copy of your driver’s license or ID.
  4. Applications can be emailed to or faxed to 303-665-2153 or mailed/dropped off at the Building Department: City Hall Water Utility Bill Drop Box
    1290 S. Public Road
    Lafayette, CO 80026
  5. Payment can be with check or credit card (Visa or MasterCard).

License Renewal
Renew your Contractor License online at the Online Action Center

Contact the Building Department at 303-661-1270 or Email if you have any questions.

Types of Licenses & Fees

  • Electrical Contractor License - A copy of your State Master License is required
    • No fee
  • General Class A - Required for all commercial work over 2,000 square feet in size
    • $175 fee
  • General Class B - Required for commercial work up to 2,000 square feet in size and any size of residential construction
    • $125 fee
  • General Class C - Allows residential construction / remodeling up to 3,500 square feet in size
    • $100 fee
  • Mechanical License -For commercial and residential HVAC
    • $125 fee
  • Plumbing License -Copy of master plumbing license is required
    • $150 fee
  • Special Contractor License- Covers roofing, excavating, sign installer, mobile home installer, concrete and form, housing and building movers, gas fitter, landscaping, fire systems, and siding
    • $100 fee
  • Procedure for Contemporaneous Reviews of Electrical and Plumbing Licenses