Lifeguard and Swim Instructor Training
Being a lifeguard or swim instructor is a great part-time job!
Get paid to do what you enjoy with other water-loving friendly staff.
Being a lifeguard or swim instructor is a great part-time job! Work with other water-loving friendly staff and get paid to do what you love!
Become a Lafayette Lifeguard in Five Easy Steps!
Step 1: Submit an Application.
Step 2: Complete the Online Lifeguarding Course
Because we understand everyone can be extremely busy with school, sports, and personal lives, and we genuinely value your time, we have moved to a hybrid lifeguarding course. Complete the online training in the comfort of your own home on your schedule. (Approximately seven hours)
Step 3: Interview/Lifeguard Training Course
Non-certified applicants will be enrolled in the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Program for FREE after passing a mandatory swim test. Upon successful completion, applicants will receive the Red Cross Lifeguard Certification, and certified applicants will be brought in for an interview.
The following skills are required to pass the swimming test:
- Swim 300 yards (12 laps) continuously. Swim freestyle or breaststroke only. Goggles are allowed for this portion.
- Tread water for two minutes using only your legs.
- Complete a timed brick retrieval within one minute and 40 seconds. Goggles are not allowed.
- Starting in shallow water, swim 20 yards toward the pool's deep end.
- Surface dive, feet- or head-first, to a depth of seven to ten feet to retrieve a brick.
- Return to the surface, then swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point. Both hands must remain on the brick.
- Place the brick on the pool deck, then exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
To review the required skills, view this YouTube video.
Step 4: Complete Two In-Person Class Sessions
Practice all the skills you’ve learned in the online course. After completing Step 3: Interview/Lifeguard Training Course, you will be asked to pick one of the classes below. All classes will be held at the Bob L. Burger Recreation Center.
|Class Option One|
Feb. 11-12 | 8am-6pm
|Class Option Three|
April 15-16 | 8am-6pm
|Class Option Two|
March 27-31 | 8am-noon
|Class Option Four|
May 6-7 | 8am-6pm
|Class Option Five|
May 8-12 | 4:15-8:15pm
|Class Option Six|
May 13-14 | 8am-6pm
Step 5: Complete Your Hiring Paperwork
The final step is a simple task, complete your hiring paperwork and attend orientation. Once this task is complete, you can begin working as a Certified Lifeguard!