Lifeguard and Swim Instructor Training
Being a lifeguard or swim instructor is a great part-time job!
Work with other water-loving friendly staff and get paid to do what you enjoy.
Being a lifeguard or swim instructor is a great part-time job! Work with other water-loving friendly staff and get paid to do what you love!
Become a Lafayette Lifeguard in Five Easy Steps!
Step 1: Submit an Application.
Step 2: Interview/Swim Test Practice
Non-Certified applicants will be enrolled in the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Program for FREE after passing a mandatory swim test. Upon successful completion, applicants will receive the Red Cross Lifeguard Certification.
The following skills are required to pass the swimming test:
- Swim 300 yards (six laps) continuously, with breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may not swim on your side or back and goggles are allowed.
- Tread water for two minutes using only your legs.
- Complete a timed event within one minute 40 seconds. Goggles are not allowed.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards toward the pool's deep end.
- Surface dive, feet- or head-first, to a depth of seven to ten feet to retrieve a ten-pound object.
- Return to the surface, then swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point. Both hands must remain on the object.
- Place the object on the pool deck, then exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
To review the required skills, view this YouTube video.
Step 3: Complete the Online Lifeguarding Course
Because we understand everyone can be extremely busy with school, sports, and personal lives, and we genuinely value your time, we have moved to a hybrid lifeguarding course. Complete the online training in the comfort of your own home on your schedule. (Approximately seven hours)
Step 4: Complete Two In-Person Class Sessions
Practice all the skills you’ve learned in the online course. After completing Step 2: Interview/Swim Test Practice, you will be asked to pick one of the classes below. All classes will be held at the Bob Burger Recreation Center and run from 8am-5pm on the following Saturdays and Sundays. (Approximately 16 hours).
|Class Option One|
|Class Option Three|
|Class Option Five|
|Class Option Two|
|Class Option Four|
|Class Option Six|
Step 5: Complete Your Hiring Paperwork
The final step is a simple task. Complete your hiring paperwork and attend orientation. Once this task is complete, you can begin working as a Certified Lifeguard for $15 an hour!