Lafayette Open Spaces are home to hundreds of plant and wildlife species and offer over 20 miles of trails for you to enjoy.
With 1,640 acres of designated properties, there is opportunity for all to experience the splendor of the Front Range right outside your backdoor.
Open Space Goals per Parks, Recreation and Open Space Plan
- Preserve and enhance significant natural areas and wildlife habitat, as well as the ecological integrity of the greater Lafayette region, while applying a strategic approach to Open Space conservation
- Provide an effective and balanced approach to Open Space management that protects and enhances environmental values
- Provide, where appropriate, high-quality outdoor recreation and trail opportunities that are consistent with the values of Open Space lands, provide high quality access between Open Space, parks, and community destinations, and minimize diverse impacts to the environment
- Administer the Open Space and trails program in a manner that is effective, efficient, and responsive to the ever-changing management needs of Open Space and trails
- Develop, manage, and maintain the City's Open Space and trails in a manner that is sensitive to and respectful of adjacent landowners, land uses, and communities
Education & Outreach
City of Lafayette Open Space offers a series of programming and educational activities that assist the public in understanding our natural surroundings.
Enhance your interaction with Open Space by reviewing the various offerings and activities designed by naturalist Martin Ogle from Entrepreneurial Earth. View calendar of nature programs.
- FAQ - Lafayette birds! 2020
- "Farms In Our Midst" - Open Space Essay by Martin Ogle
- "Energy & Life" - Open Space Essay by Martin Ogle
- "2020 Vision - Open Space Sustainability" - Open Space Essay by Martin Ogle
- "Rare Birds vs. Common Birds" - Open Space Essay by Johanna Mailly
- Waneka Lake - Self Guided Tour Map
The Open Space Division is 100% funded by two local Sales and Use Tax initiatives:
- Legacy Tax: 0.25% for land acquisition and maintenance
- POST Tax (Parks, Open Space & Trails: 0.25% for maintenance, enhancements, and preservation
- 2019 Parks, Recreation, Open Space & Trails Plan
- Nature Kids - Community Engagement Report
- Open Space Advisory Committee
- Open Space and Trail Regulations
- Parks and Open Space Trails Map 2016
- City of Lafayette Prairie Dog Management Policy - November 2019
- Prairie Dog Management Category Designations - October 2005
- Prairie Dog Management Category Designations - September 2016
- Coyote Conflict Brochure, Colorado Parks & Wildlife
- Coyote Field Signage, Colorado Parks & Wildlife