Lafayette Open Spaces are home to hundreds of plant and wildlife species and offer over 20 miles of trails for you to enjoy.
With 1,640 acres of designated properties, there is opportunity for all to experience the splendor of the Front Range right outside your backdoor.
At-grade trail crossing construction at Horizon Ave. and Majestic Dr.Trail users can expect heavy machinery in the area through early April Read on...
Coal Creek Improvement at Centaur VillageLearn more about the project and take the public survey Read on...
Trail underpass closure at 120th and Coal CreekThe trail underpass at 120th St. and Coal Creek is closed until further notice for bridge repairs Read on...
Education & Outreach
We offer regular educational programming for all ages throughout the year. Discover the wonders of Coal Creek. the stories behind historic barns, or the myriad of birds in our Open Spaces year round!
Enhance your interaction with Open Space with environmental education programs designed by naturalist Martin Ogle from Entrepreneurial Earth.
Contact Martin for more information about upcoming programs.
Open Space Resources
- Open Space and Trail Regulations
- Parks and Open Space Trails Map 2016
- 2022 Open Space Annual Report
- 2019 Parks, Recreation, Open Space & Trails Plan
- Self Guided Tour of Waneka Lake and Greenlee Wildlife Preserve
- Bird City Lafayette
- City of Lafayette Prairie Dog Management Policy - November 2019
- Prairie Dog Management Category Designations - September 2016
- Coyote Conflict Brochure- Colorado Parks & Wildlife
- Coyote Field Signage- Colorado Parks & Wildlife
- FAQ - Lafayette Birds!
- "Farms In Our Midst" - Open Space Essay by Martin Ogle
- "Energy & Life" - Open Space Essay by Martin Ogle
- "2020 Vision - Open Space Sustainability" - Open Space Essay by Martin Ogle
- "Rare Birds vs. Common Birds" - Open Space Essay by Johanna Mailly
The Open Space Division is 100% funded by two local sales and use tax initiatives:
- Legacy Tax: 0.25% for land acquisition and maintenance
- POST Tax (Parks, Open Space & Trails: 0.25% for maintenance, enhancements, and preservation