Business Tax & License Overview

All businesses operating in the City of Lafayette need a business license.

Additionally, businesses who meet the definition of Engaged in Business, but are not located within the city (Sec 110-37) also need a business license.  

You can register for a business license and file the City of Lafayette taxes online for most accounts in the system, including:

  • Business License
  • Sales Tax
  • Use Tax
  • Lodger's Tax
  • Special Events

Register and Pay Taxes at:

The following taxes are not yet filed through the MUNIRevs system, please contact the city if you need assistance with these filings:

  • City Storage Tax
  • Retail Marijuana Excise Tax
  • Special Marijuana Sales Tax

Retailers outside of Lafayette may use the Colorado Sales and Use Tax System (SUTS) to file and pay sales/use taxes to the city of Lafayette at SUTS Colorado Department of Revenue (