The Building Division is responsible for reviewing building permit applications, issuing building permits, performing building inspections, issuing contractor’s licenses, enforcing building codes, and maintaining building records.
General Email: email@example.com
Permit Submittal: Use the above general email to submit for building permits. There is also a drop-off box for larger submittals and/or large rolled plan sets. The box is located just to the left of the front doors of City Hall. Contractors with a MyGov account can apply online for building permits. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions on obtaining a MyGov account,
Building Inspection Number - 303-604-3822
In August 2020 the City adopted the National Electrical Code 2020.
BUILDING DEPARTMENT INFORMATION REGARDING COVID-19
The City of Lafayette Planning and Building Department is committed to the safety of the community. During the height of the COVID outbreak we instituted steps to limit the spread of COVID-19 while still delivering timely inspection services. The Building Department performed virtual inspections on residential structures during this time in an effort to protect citizens and inspectors alike.
Now that the COVID restrictions have lessened with the emergence of a vaccine, the Building Department has changed its policies to be consistent with current conditions. The Building Department has reverted back to its full slate of onsite, in-person inspections. However, we remain open to performing virtual residential inspections for those permittees who are uncomfortable with on site visits.
Applications for building permit can be filed using our existing standard online checklists. Email permit applications to email@example.com.
Applications and handouts
View all online or use the direct links below.
- Building Permit Applications
- Contractor License Application
- Lawful Presence Affidavit
- Mobile Home Plat Plan
- Sign Permit Application
- Temporary Outdoor Sales, Storage or Display of Merchandise
Applications for new signs may be mailed or submitted electronically for review. Once the permit has been processed and approved you will be contacted by staff with the permit amount. Once payment has been processed your permit and receipt will be mailed or emailed to you.
Permits for Temporary Signs/Banners may be submitted via email or regular mail. They will be processed and if approved you will be notified by email the permit is ready.
Payment for all permits currently approved or under review may be made by check with a self-addressed stamped envelope large enough to accommodate your plans sets and deposited in the water billing drop box located near the front entrance to City Hall. This box will be checked daily. Once payment has been received, your permit will be processed and mailed to you along with any plans and your receipt of payment.
Contractor Licenses can be applied for online and paid for online.
New filing requirements for commercial plan reviews: 1 set of plans and 2 jump drives will now be required for new commercial buildings and TI/Remodel permits. See the Commercial Checklist and TI/Remodel Checklist for all requirements.
Effective 5-6-19, a permit will no longer be required for replacing like for like windows. A permit will be required for window replacements that have a size change or a new opening.
ATTENTION ROOFING CONTRACTORS:
- To schedule an inspection an inspection call: 303-604-3822.
- Reroof inspections are done Monday thru Friday between 9am- 6pm. We are not able to give you an ETA for reroof inspections.
- Make sure roof is not covered with snow before you call for an inspection. A reinspection fee will be charged if inspector is called out for a reroof inspection on a snow covered roof.
- No mid-roof inspections: one final roof inspection.
- Ladder required (effective 10-14-19).
- If roof pitch is over 5/12, please note that on the yellow inspection card and include the roof pitch when you schedule your inspection.
- Effective March 15, 2021, you will need to post documentation or packaging of Class 4 shingles on site.
- Yellow inspection record card needs to be posted at job site.
- Results of inspection are written on the inspection record card which is left at job site after inspection.
Inspection Line Number: 303-604-3822
To protect the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of Lafayette and the general public by ensuring that building structures in Lafayette are safe and conform to building codes. Assist citizens and contractors in understanding and complying with the building codes.